View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Plate Who knew??? Allergic to pumpkin!

Just thought I'd share my experience w/food allergies...dogs throw up if they're allergic to a specific food. That is the best way to tell, as only about 10% of the allergy culprit is from food. The other way to tell is from their #2's...it's should be nice & firm.

Turbo is special he's allergic to pumkin! He would always throw up yellow bile or his food sometimes after eating. If I wasn't there to clean it up, he would eat it again (sorry TMI!), poor thing!

My vet advised me not to worry, that his blood work looks fine, but still had numerous tests done: acid bile, urinalysis for diabetes, even thyroid! I wanted to know WHY he kept throwing up...even when I fed him on time & split his meals to 3 x's a day (as advised by my vet).

Well, I put 2 & 2 together & it was the Fruitables pumpkin treats & steamed pumpkin I've been adding as a topper to their kibble. I eliminated pumpkin from his diet & no more throwing up! Grrrr wish I knew b4 I spent a small fortune on all those tests! Well, now I know he's healthy & that's all that matters.

I know a lot of you are giving pumpkin as a treat, topper or to firm things up...just FYI, some dogs are highly allergic to it! But it's probably a very small percentage, Turbo is special.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!