Thread: My poor baby!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
bijoux1
YT Addict

Default My poor baby!!!

I must start out by saying that I am sure you are sick of hearing about mishaps and scares from me ...all in the past two weeks!!! Believe me, I realize that I must sound like the worst furbaby mom in the world or either a complete lunatic that all of this has happened. But I actually am an extremely conscientious owner, and my nerves are just about completely and totally frazzled after the past two weeks..and I think tonight officially does it!!

Today after lunch with my dad, my sister's family and I went to my dad's house. After lunch, I went by my house and picked up my dogs to spend the rest of the day with me. Well...long story short, at my dad's, my niece was fishing... and I'm leaving lots out .. but she was getting ready to fish and accidentally dropped the hook she was baiting with a huge piece of raw bacon..... I immediately grabbed my dog as he was chomped at bacon... I immediately pried open his mouth to grab the hook ..but I couldn't get it bc it was taking one hand to hold the line which was still attached to the rod in my nieces hand.. I was terrified she would move and accidentally "set" the hook...my other hand was keeping his mouth open in hopes I could still prevent him from chewing and then swallowing the bacon wrapped hook.

I ran ..literally ran to car to go to ER at LSU vet school... I could only pray that the hook was somehow still in the back or very top of throat.. I didn't take time to investigate.. I was terrified it might block his breathing or cut his esophagus of stomach..anyway...got there and x ray showed the hook already to his stomach!! He had to have anesthesiologist come in.. be put under.. They were going to first try to retrieve it endoscopically.. and if they couldn't get it out... proceed to cutting his abdomen. Also, they mentioned the possibility that his stomach could have a hole...obviously that would be a big problem...but they didn't think it was.

Thankfully, about an hour and a half into his procedure... the vet student came out with a little cup with the fish hook..line and sinker! I have NEVER been so happy to see a fish hook!! They were able to get it out, and so far they see no preforation to his stomach. However, he is in ICU for the night. I so hope everything continue to progress smoothly the rest of tonight so that he can be back here with me. I really miss him, and I am so happy he has been so so fortunate! I'm also thankful to have LSU vet school here!
bijoux1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!