View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
SarahHopeless
YorkieTalk Newbie!

I wanted to post an update for other yorkie mom's that may look at this post and get any help and advice from it.

Firstly, the two puppy girls named Recess and Buttercup (their mother's name is Peanut) are super healthy and over eight weeks old. I took the puppies to the vet after spotting the microscopic red bugs on two different occasions crawling over their skin as newborns. The vet checked both puppies out and they were as healthy as a horse. After I took them to the vet, I never saw the bugs again.

The vet explained to me that red mange is a parasite that lives on every dog and it was a possibility that, because I work from home and thoroughly watched the pups, that I may have noticed them (if indeed it was red mange.) Red mange is a biological disease if it worsens to the point where there are multiple red bugs crawling on the yorkie skin. Red mange is very slim, however, because any breeder that notices this condition with the mother would not breed her so the chances of this being the problem are slim. The vet also explained that other bugs can get on the puppies new fur from the mom - we hadn't sprayed for bugs for a while and I took mom to the groomer and the problem was gone. Thank everyone for your advice - it meant a lot - if another yorkie mom is going through this problem, I wanted to make sure and give a follow up of how the situation was resolved.
SarahHopeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!