View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Sweet Girls
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBit View Post
Yes it happened to us last night. When I called her vet he said it probably a stomach virus to take away the food give her Pepto. I called him a few hours later when the stool was blood. He still didn't think it was anything serious. I am just lost she was the sweetest girl her two brothers are lost without her.
I am so sorry to hear about this! My schnauzer had a bout of HGE just over a week ago, symptoms just like you described...but luckily I was able to get her to a vet immediately, and my vet recognized what it was and had us to the Ontario Vet College emergency room within 45 minutes. Even with this quick action, I almost lost her The good news (such as it is), is that if it IS HGE, its not contagious and your other pups should be fine...but I would definitely find a new vet The first thing my vet said to me when I called and said my girl was vomiting and had bloody diarrhea was I was to get her to a vet hospital ASAP.

Having said all that, watch your others like a hawk (as I'm sure you will), because although HGE is not contagious, there are instances when it occurs in more than one dog in the home...and since HGE doesn't have a clear cause....it really is a mystery.

My condolences on your loss...5 years is definitely not long enough!
Sweet Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!