Thread: Have you ever
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson0053 View Post
Ok has anyone had the groomer tell you in order for your dog s coat to grow pretty you need to cut all their puppy hair off and then start. Even her vet which was standing there agreed. I told them not to touch her face. If any of you hhave pics before/ after cut/ and coat now pics please share. If not.... Have you got any input?
Yes....I was told that several times...depends on what is coming in...if you have a puppy with a course coat, you likely do not have that "downy puppy fur" underneath that course hair, so it isn't necessary. If you have a cottony or a wooly coat, with that fuzzy, downy puppy fur underneath, it tangles and mats all the way to the skin if you dot continually brush and comb....it is easier and less traumatic for me and the pup, to shave it all off and let that beautiful adult coat come on out! I was shown this because I took 5, 18 week old babies to my brothers beach house. He has 3 acres on the beach, with a fenced in back yard. I took the babies out into the back yard to play, and of course, way back in the far back corner, there was low "beach ground cover" growing, and that is right where they went first, then ran and played and had a ball...but when we went inside, and I was shaking sand off each one, they were covered in cockle burrs!!!!!!! I had NO idea cockle burrs grew at the beach!!!! I worked for HOURS and HOURS and HOURS trying to get those cockle burrs out and I was getting no where real quick. I HAD TO SHAVE ALL MY BABIES (3 THAT WERE STILL FOR SALE!!) DOWN TO BARE, TO GET THOSE STICKERS OFF! And then I saw what that groomer had told me for years was actually true! Those babies all grew out beautiful, silky coats! But if you have a baby that is going to have a cottony or wooly coat, shaving them down initially will get rid of that downy baby hair, but their coat will still come out cottony or wooly, but you dont have that baby down underneath it initially...you do well to just keep it in a short cut to manage it easier....easier for you, but also easier for the pup!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!