View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
xoxodoglover89
YT 500 Club Member

Default Trying to form a schedule

My parents brought their puppy home Wednesday evening and I can tell they are completely clueless as to what's right and what's wrong. I'm trying to adapt a schedule for them to follow to help with the potty training period but I have to admit I'm a little confused myself.

They have a pen set up in the kitchen with his bed, some toys, dishes and his crate. I've been doing research online trying to find the best solution. A lot of sites are saying to get the puppy used to the crate by putting him in there for nap time and what not as the crate should be a happy/safe place for him and not an area for punishment but I guess what confuses me is after the puppy has had his playtime, do we put him in the crate for nap time or just put him in his pen? He isn't used to his crate yet and barks and whines quite a bit for some time before eventually calming down.

Then as far as the potty training goes, if he's taken outside and doesn't go potty, do you crate him or just stick him in the pen for 10-20 minutes before trying again? I would have thought that crating him would mean punishment but at the same time you're trying to get it through his head that the crate is a happy place. I'm trying to go off of a schedule similar to this although times are still up in the air.

Wake up
Take outside
Play Time
Breakfast
Outside
Playtime (if he goes)....Crate if he doesn't? for nap time (confusion)
Outside
Playtime
Crate or Pen?
(repeat until next meal)
etc.

I think you get the idea. I guess I'm just more concerned with knowing when to have them place him in the crate versus the pen because we want him used to sleeping in the crate and whatnot but don't want him to get confused and think it's punishment.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing.
xoxodoglover89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!