View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

[QUOTE=bchgirl;3946427]I saw you'd posted this on an earlier thread and I wanted to give you some information. I am not familiar with Mia's heart issue nor the treatment she is receiving for this.

Deafness can be from a variety of issues...inherited or acquired. Acquired may be from ear infections, trauma, medications.

Congenital deafness occurs in a variety of breeds. It's likely the cause may never be determined.

There are two genes which deafness appears more prevalent. One is the merle gene and the other is piebald. Not all breeds who carry these genes exhibit the problem. There is more understanding on how deafness occurs with the merle gene and less so with piebald. Deafness is not considered dominate since it can be produced by two hearing parents....nor is it a simple recessive because two deaf dogs can produce a pup with hearing.

I am heavily involved with biewers. Sit on the board of directors for the BBCA. We as a group are invested in the health of these dogs. I will not tell you it is not related to her piebald gene. I don't know that. Deafness also occurs in standard colored yorkies.

I can tell you...it is a very small biewer world and this is not something that is occurring repeatedly. I know of one single biewer and I also know of a parti yorkshire puppy. I view it as any other health issue...it "may" happen.

Recently we were camping...the group camped beside us were all deaf and so were the 4 dogs who accompanied them.

A link you may want to read.

Genetics of Deafness in Dogs

On a last note...Mia doesn't know she's deaf.

I will be interested in hearing what your vet has to say.[/QUOTE

bingo...i dont understand any of this stuff. "she is myrel" (like a dalmation), she has dark blue -NOT LIGHT blue eyes, pink and black toes pads, pink skin, so angry right now. definitely deaf. just got home. we went early saw 2 vets, not doing the "bear test" as its not necessary and is very expensive and would have to go to cornell only to be told what we know already, don't think we have anything else to worry about. no ear infections (never have), said we will be fine. why do i feel like a pile of doggy doodoo right now...? Think I'm going to call the effing dog store I got Mini at (not Mia) just cuz I have no one else to yell at....argggghhh

Will apreciate any advice not argument for or against...(we have other threads for that already) PLEASE.

e.t.a.: vet said all Biewers have piebald gene?

Last edited by lynzy420; 06-14-2012 at 02:51 PM.
lynzy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!