Thread: Fishy odor??
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
lovespandp
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoALAnna View Post
You know-I wonder how many Vets actually do express the anals the right way? Out of the three Vets at the clinic that we've used forever, I have NEVER seen any of them go "in"! I wonder if it is out of ignorance, or laziness. It seems that it would be a good deal more thorough and less painful to be done the "right" way. What would be a way to suggest it, without worrying that I may be stepping on some toes? I love my Vet(s), but I have to get Neo's done so often!
I am not sure, I guess it depends on the Vet, and the Vet Tech's. When I was a tech we were always told to "go in" while express the anal glands- I would just ask one of the techs, or even the front desk- How they express the anal glands.. No harm in asking. I am just going on how Peanut is, he needs his expressed monthly, he also needs the Vet or tech doing it to "go in" and express them. I know it is different for all dogs so I can only say how Peanut needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomo View Post
I have to chime in & say there is no right way of emptying anal sacs. Although, if it's impacted & pasty, the internal way would be the best route, as doing it externally may not get everything out...thus causing an abscess or infection.
Not all dogs need this done. However, once they do get it done, they lose the muscle movement to do it naturally, so it must be done every other week or month or so.
Here's a great video: Your Pet's Anal Glands - YouTube
Exactly, my groomer wasn't "going in" when he she expressed Peanuts, so he was having it done more often. When they "go in" to express them he needs it less. That is all I was getting at .
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!