View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Rescuemomma
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
There is much truth that you get what you pay for! Is $850 too much? Is it too little? The answer is of course it depends. A poorly bred dog, that has a bad temperament and bad knees will cost you a whole lot more than $850. And quite frankly some things just can't be "fixed". So in one way that dog would be too much if it was "free". There is a saying; "Buy your breeder first".

BAckyard Breeders who do not breed for health and temperament, never mind to the standard (none of them do that by definition), should never be supported.

The other concern I have, if the purchase price of the dog is a "stretch" for you, then you probably have not put away money for your dog's on-going regular health needs, never mind if emergencies arise. Some folks call it making up a "puppy purse". This money is set aside prior to the purchase of your puppy, for those rainey days. As well many folks decide to buy pet insurance. Just be aware to get insurance that covers genetic defects, and make sure you know if your "insurer" wants you to pay up front, and then re-imburse you.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

How much should be in that puppy purse, again depends, on a number of factors. How much will you continue to be able to set aside monthly to go into that savings? If the amount is minimal (under $50), then you want to start with a pretty healthy balance: $2000-$2500. Also it is a good idea to apply for Care Credit, and it is there if you need it for medical emergencies.
Couldn't agree more!

On the note of pet insurance - I think it's a great idea, but keep in mind that even if the insurance company will pay your vet directly instead of you paying it and being reimbursed, that doesn't mean the VET will allow that. Especially if you end up at an emergency center. So that's something to carefully factor in. All my personal dogs are insured - And it's given me a great peace of mind when things happen knowing I don't have to worry much about finances when making medical decisions, I can go with whatever the vet recommends, since after my deductible, I only pay 10% out of my own pocket. The emergency center in town as well as my regular and my holistic vet all work directly with my insurance company for payment. Now insurance doesn't cover everything - And I've never seen one without a "wait" period, especially for genetic problems. So don't get insurance and expect it to cover genetic problems, and if anything is detected within that wait period, the condition and anything they can relate to it won't be covered.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!