View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Rescuemomma
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettystyle23 View Post
Hello,
I am thinking about getting a yorkie sometime soon! and I have researched about yorkies for weeks now.
My concern is that if I buy a cheap yorkie, I would have to spend more money on vet fees through the roof I think..
But, I cannot afford to buy more than $1000 for a PET dog.
The breeder that I have talked to is breeding show quality dogs..which means their yorkies are going to be expensive PLUS AKC registered (but I think 850 is not THAT expensive compared to other show quality dogs).
However, based on some research that I have done, ACA or CKC registered dogs are from puppy mill or BYBs....

BUT!! is it really bad to buy a yorkie from a BYB? I am not trying to show my dog or anything. I just want a yorkie as a pet.

So my question is...
Do you think 850 is an ok price for a pet?
Also, do you think it really matters whether the dog is registered as CKC or AKC? (quality wise)

I just need some help...thanks!!!
The answer is YES, it really is that bad to buy from a BYB, because you're supporting an industry that cares little about their dogs, they just want to make money. Going to a reputable breeder, they're going to have health testing done, research on pedigrees to do their best to find the most compatible matches before they breed, and will be there to support you for the life of your puppy. Honestly, I don't think AKC papers even mean that much, as plenty of BYB/Mill dogs have AKC papers. What matters is the health testing, genetic screening, and dedication to the breed. Ask about health testing has been done (if they say "I've taken my dog to the vet and it's healthy, RUN! You want OFA/CERF certification to PROVE they've done the proper testing/screening prior to breeding), what health problems are in the lines (if they say none, RUN! ALL lines have health problems of some sort, good breeders know what they are so they can try to breed away from them!), and if possible, ask to speak with owners that have gotten puppies from them int he past.

You may have to save longer and pay more to get a puppy from a breeder that does all that, and you'll almost certainly have to be put on a waiting list, very very few good breeders have puppies available and ready to go! Especially with Yorkies where they often have small 1-3 puppy litters! $850 is a fair price, but ONLY IF all the proper screening and health testing is done. If not, you're better off getting one from a rescue or shelter - My tiny 3 lb Benjamin is an amazing dog, everyone that meets him loves him - and he came from the kill shelter here in Vegas. If you're not going to spend the time/money to find a reputable breeder and get a healthy puppy from well health-screened parents, you're better off with a rescue - you're saving a life, and the health risks are the same, as you have no idea what genetic problems you may run into down the road either way.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!