Thread: Bella is sick
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
normarae63
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Bella is sick

PLEASE keep her in your thoughts. It has been a really rough week; sorry I didn't come post right away but I've been trying to educate myself.

Bella is my 2+ year old Yorkie. She's a big girl for a Yorkie at 12.3 pounds. We've had her over a year & there was little indication of any liver problems until recently when she's started throwing up bile. We just received her BAT & other bloodwork back day before yesterday indicating she needs further testing done. We live in North Central Florida so we'll be having a second opinion &/or surgery for her suspected shunt done at UF (hopefully this can be done asap; I expect a bit of a wait though). I say
suspected because I'm not convinced she's got a liver shunt at this point. I also didn't know until researching a bit that the "cute" little rubbing she does along the furniture was something other people with shunt babies had noticed theirs do.
Her test results could very well have been skewed by a few factors. When she started getting finicky about eating her kibble a few weeks ago, I added about a teaspoon of Ziwi Peak which is a very high protein raw food that we used to use as her ultimate treat. She got her rabies shot the same day she was tested; had eaten; & only one BAT was run. Her numbers under those conditions:
BAT 29.3 with a reference range of 0-6.9
ALT 23 AST 28 Albumin 3.4 BUN 17
Also, her Triglycerides were twice the normal levels

She's on neomycin & lactulose; we've started feeding Iams low residue (which is what our current vet said to give her although I'm not liking the ingredients list much).
Prior to that she ate Blue Buffalo chicken & rice.

I'll keep you posted after we've had our consult with UF.

Visit my SHOP: SherrysPetStuff or on Etsy. Fun on Facebook
normarae63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!