View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #59
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Sis View Post
Bailey is a shih tuz (Remy's big brother) and I guess I posted this on the wrong area. sorry.

But what I have found out via the vet(s) and research (what did I do before google) is it is both. Because shih tuz have longer bodies than legs this bread tends to have this problem more than some other breeds. dachshunds are the primary breed to have this problem. BUT the vet said it could happen in most any breed just not as often. In my research I read about Shepherds who have this problem and others.

Now... what can you do to prevent as much as possible? Use a harness, limit jumping, supplements to diet and luck I guess. I feel very very guilty... I have NEVER limited Bailey's jumping (he is so big and healthy it never crossed my mind) and I used a collar. I now use the chokefree shoulder harness (in fact i love them so much I am a now a reseller) and added supplements AND have been sleeping on the floor (air mattress) until the vet gives a clean bill of health ..and I ordered a ramp. I have steps that are great but Bailey will not use them

As I told my DH... we will do what we can for Bailey and do what we can so this does not happen to Sammy and Remy

As to the Holistic Vet... I know it will not take the place if surgery is required.. but can speed the healing and comfort of Bailey. imo

Now.... I would like to add... I am SOOOOO new to this.. Gemy, Lady Jane, 107Barney and a few others have lived it and know so much more!!
I don't see how you think you posted this in the wrong place, Shinja. It is great information for people!

Last edited by ladyjane; 06-07-2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: removed stupid question :)
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!