View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
celstu1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Question Pesco-Vegetarian diet

I am really considering changing my lifestyle to this diet. I mean Ive been talking about becoming a vegetarian for almost 8 years. I think it's time to make the leap. I rarely eat meat and never a lot of it. But being from New England I LOVE LOVE LOVE seafood. I could never give up clams, shrimp, haddock, salmon, lobster (don't really like scallops), oysters, sushi, etc... I just love seafood.

I completely do not eat hamburger anymore, haven't for probably 7 years now. I eat an occasional steak, but more and more lately I don't enjoy it. I find myself saying 'this steak is gamey tasting' all the time. I keep trying more & more expensive steak to try to get one that I like, when really I just think I don't really like it anymore. I'm bored with chicken... I eat ground turkey in just about every meal I make so my husband and the kids get their meat at least.

My husband used to surprise me sometimes and stop and get my favorite steaks for dinner, but lately more & more he's been stopping and getting haddock or shrimp instead. I must be giving off vibes!

I don't eat hotdogs, hamburgers, sausage, bacon, ham. Even when I buy for other people I buy the turkey or chicken kind and will nibble here & there. I really think it's time for me to make the leap and get off the meat altogether now. Before I met my husband I ate meat maybe once every 4 days for 1 meal. Usually I knew when I needed protein because I'd get cranky, tired and out of sorts.... then Id realize I hadn't eaten meat in almost a week. Since it was subconsciously I was not getting enough protein, B12 or calcium more than likely. I now eat yogurt almost everyday and buy OJ with calcium. I also drink 1% milk in my coffee daily, so I think Im covered for calcium.

The only meat I might miss a little bit is turkey.

I am allergic to lentils and am afraid that over time I may develop an allergy to green beans because they are in the same class as lentils. Green beans are my favorite veggie too!

Problem is my husband is Italian and his diet is mainly bread, cheese, pasta and meat! A lot of meat! If I am not home to cook for them it's not unusual for him to make the kids hot dogs & hamburgers or sausage on rolls with no veggies at all.

Anyone here a pesco-vegetaria or pescatarian? How did you get yourself off eating meat? Was it hard? do you have problems with calcium, iron or protein deficiencies? Any advice or recommendations for me?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!