View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Kayleen22
Yorkie Talker

Default Luxating Patella Surgery

I'm new to this forum but i've been here the past few days looking for more info on patellar luxation. Every person's experience has been helpful to me so I figure I would share my story for those who are like me and have to deal with this

Dee is a 7 year old yorkie. She was diagnosed with luxating patella (both knees) early on in her life. I'd say maybe 2-3 years old. She started showing symptoms about 3 years ago. She'd go through phases of limping for a few days, then she'd be fine. Or she'd limp a few steps and back to normal walking. It was about a year or two ago that she started not being able to walk very far. We'd get two blocks into our walk (half way) and she would just stop. She's never been one to jump on beds or couches. I bought a low bed specially for her so she could jump up easier..never happens. But she would run around fine (with a bunny hop though) and go up the stairs fine.

A week and a half ago she totally changed. She would lay around all day without moving much, and she'd lay in really weird spots too..almost like she was trying to hide. (I remember my gpa's dog doing this the day before she died..i was scared!) No appetite, wasn't playful at all. She was alert but that was about it. Took her to the vet and they gave me a quote for surgery ($1,800 for both knees) and gave her some pain meds to take home. As of today, pain meds don't seem to help. If they are helping i can't imagine what she'd be like without them. Anytime i pick her up, she whimpers. She doesn't eat, hardly drinks. She can barely walk. It's tough. I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner...

I have surgery scheduled for Thursday at the vet clinic i normally go to. The founder of the clinic is board certified and specializes in orthopedic surgery. I know she is in good hands. As nervous as i am about it, I wish it was today. I can't stand to see her in such pain.

I will continue to update as the days go along. I know somewhere down the line this will help those out there who are faced with this same problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dee.jpg (48.5 KB, 33 views)
Kayleen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!