View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynzy420 View Post
Good reminder for everyone, wether your dogs have allergies or not...things can happen and change very quickly!

Just curious are you a vet or work in the field?
Nope.
I am just a pre vet. i do spend a good dealof time in veterinary hospitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I'll bet you were near heart failure. What do you think happened to her? Would you have automatically dispensed Benadryl had you had it ready? Would that drug hurt a dog if it were having a heart attack or stroke or something not "reaction"-related?

I'm sure glad she came out of it but wonder what in the world caused this. They sure can go south in a hurry. I know you will be watching that little stinker closely. (I always call them "stinkers" when they scare us so!)
I'm thinking it would come in handy moreso for the classic swelling reactions. As always, check with your vet. Great question about it making other problems worse if it is not a reaction. I was goingto ask my vet about that.

One of her first concerns was thatit was cardiac tamponade. Thankfully it wasn't. Another possibility was a parasympathetic, vasovagal response to vomiting..because she came out of it on her own. But her ALT came back very high after it happened and then came back down within a few days. reaction is most likely. And because it looked almost identical to the lepto reaction, it makes the most sense. It happened in the grass too.. And even if she was stung I doubt she would cry.

I had Benadryl on hand, but with this type of reaction they really can't swallow. They stare straight ahead and don't even acknowledge their name. She now has injectable Benadryl with her at all times...only because she reacts so severely and very quickly...

Last edited by Ellie May; 06-03-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!