View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Please have Benadryl on hand, know when you should use it, how much to give, and know the location of the nearest ER.

I never thought too much about insect reactions and my pups..until last week. We were outside and the kids were sniffing. Out of nowhere, Ellie threw up then went limp. Her gums were very white. She could not stand or even sit on her own. Her back legs would splay when laying down. She had diarrhea involuntarily. I can usually feel her heartbeat with my hand, but could not find one. Couldn't get a femoral pulse either. Picked it up with a steth. It was pretty faint. This is all happening while we are trying to get her to the nearest vet. I was on the phone with her vet so she could talk me through it. We both thought it was very likely she was dying. Started coming out of it on her own. Because of the changes we are seeing in her bloodwork, we are almost certain it eas a reaction to...something. She never cried.

After it happened, I remembered it looked almost exactly like her lepto vaccine reaction. She is very sensitive apparentlu.

Ellie is just fine now. New policy here to keep an eye on her for fifteen minutes after we go outside.

Please enjoy the nice weather with your pups but be careful.
Good reminder for everyone, wether your dogs have allergies or not...things can happen and change very quickly!

Just curious are you a vet or work in the field?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!