Thread: What to do?!?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
maggiefromnj
YT Addict

I'm glad to hear that! Perhaps your dad needs to start lengthening the time between taking her out, being sure to take her out shortly after meals, playtime, and naptime. Give big praise and reward when she goes. Not sure how to teach her to ask to go out, but if she only goes outside (grass?) and usually uses only one door, then she may well be trained. If you don't take her out just keep a close eye...Maggie just goes to the door and looks at us. If we aren't there she will whine a little. She can hold it a long time. Actually, she often won't go when my kids let her out if I am not home. Seems like she is too disturbed that me or daddy aren't home that she doesn't go. I learned she can hold it quite a long time! Does she sleep through the night? If so, that tells you she can hold it.

It would be nice for dad to know he can leave her and feel safe that she will hold it. It will be good for you to know when she visits. We took Maggie to my moms and last time we couldn't figure out what she was whining about, we thought she wanted food. Then we realized she was telling us she had to pee! So, she knew even though she'd only been there a few times, that the pee spot was out the front door.

Aside from the potty issue, she will likely be happier staying where she is used to and Dad will be happy to have you come visit her I am sure. And she can have sleepovers at your house if she is comfortable there and once you know your floors are safe. You can "share" her!
maggiefromnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!