View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Marioana
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
How refreshing to have some one research first! There are some other threads on here about Pet Insurance; and I'd recommend you look at insuring right away and with an Insurance Company that covers genetic defects. Make sure of that. Even still, better to wait a couple of years while you start a puppy savings account. Try to have in it at least $1000 beyond the price of the dog. Many insurance companies will want you to pay the vet bill up front first, and then there is always the deductible.

Yorkies can be "barky", and you will need to train them. A good puppy obedience class is a great place to start the training. That is after the puppy has had all the shots.

Getting a healthy dog from health parents and from a responsible breeder is the absolute best way to go. There are "stickeys" in here in the library on finding a responsible breeder. Make sure all the Breed Specific Health tests are done on the parents, and inquire into the health of the lines. These are specialized tests, and not just a general vet examination.

Beyond all that and that is a lot I know. Fast forward 5 yrs from now or 7, if and when you get pregnant, how is your mature dog going to fit into the new family that you are building? How will you prepare the dog for babies arrival, and will you be willing to make the necessary adjustments to accomadate? For Yorkies can live 15 or more years, and it is likely you will be having children long before your dog's life is over.

I wish you luck in your search
Thank You everyone for the advice!

We do have the money now for the puppy and we do have savings in case of emergencies, I just wanted to be sure that this is the right breed for us. I will order those books and read them, and try to contact a breeder nearby. I guess it will take time until a puppy will be available so I have time to do my homework (and maybe supplement our income with my boyfriend's paycheck)
Marioana is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!