Thread: Vet Question??
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
LunasMomma
Izzy's Momma Too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
It's perfectly acceptable for techs to vaccinate. They do a lot more serious things than that..like monitoring your pets' anesthesia during surgery.

An assistant that has only been on the job for a few weeks...not so much..

Vaccines are never given in the wIting room here. They are always given by a vet or tech. If the tech gives them, the vet isn't far and is asked, "is it ok to give xyz"?

I would say that you should just talk to the vets about apthe mixups, but if they are sending assistants to the waiting room to give injections, I'd move on. Assistants can't do exams anyway.

i don't think table vs no table is a huge deal as long as pup is still.
Techs draw blood too. They do fine. Actually some are better at it than vets. Just depends. Remember, techs learned a lot of technical skills in school. Maybe even more extensively than vets...
OH this makes me feel a little better, thank you! Two weeks ago Luna and Izzy went to the vet for their yearly checkup, rabies shot, and to check out Luna's itchies. They had an appointment this morning for their distemper/parvo vax. The office called me yesterday and said that the vet would be in late (after my appt. time) and they asked if I minded if a tech gave the vax. I said okay and they got them this morning, one tech holding, the other injecting. They did a good job. When I read all the replies here about this, I thought that maybe I had done the wrong thing So glad to hear that this is pretty normal. The vet did a thorough exam two weeks ago, and he did give them their rabies vax then. Whew

As for the waiting room thing, unacceptable imho. If they were that busy maybe they should have rescheduled.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!