Thread: Can She Cope?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Start building her up now with hiking, good for both of you :-) You also need to consider the roughness of the terrain, and the inclines too. I also would take a backpack that she can be put in if she either tires or injures a paw. So you are looking at hiking 5 hours per day approximately?
All Dog Boots sells different kinds of boots for dogs, it would be a good idea to have some made for your gal; try them out over the summertime.

When Razzle was 8 mths old we hiked with him - after a couple of months he was ready and able to do about 4 hrs (included a lunchtime swim). Terrain was relatively flat, but uneven-rocky. Also look at an all weather coat for her - especially one that will repel rain/wind. And consider the night time temperatures; how cold will it go in September, you might need a winter coat for her for the evenings.

You also need to prepare an emergency vet kit for her - well and one for you too. Among other things, vet wrap, splints, a cold pack(one of those instant ones). Styptic powder, clear bandaid, sterile saline wash. I put in tweezers as well, small blunt nosed scissors.

Put in an extra harness and lead; if one breaks on the trail you have a spare. I have a lead that has differently spaced holes in it, can be used to tie off your dog. Also you can place one end around your waist leaving both hands free.

If you are on steep and very uneven terrain, consider how your dog will descend it; climbing up is not soo much a challenge. Picture a steep and rocky decline, you need both your hands to descend safely. Maybe you are stepping down, 3 or 4 ft on a narrow and rocky trail. How is your dog going to descend?

I always recommend for hikers that their dog have a good obedience recall - ie come, walk easy, preferably heel trained, and most especially the STOP command is instantly obeyed. STOP can literally be a life saver for you and your pup. LEAVE IT and DROP it are very important too.

I love to hike with my dogs, but also like to be prepared, it makes for a very enjoyable hiking experience.

Take lots of pics!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!