View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 07:16 AM   #38
Princessyorkies
Owned by my Furbabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan
I don't take deposits on pups because I am a breeder not a banker. I couldn't possibly decide who gets which pup when they are born and not for many, many weeks after. They are 8 weeks old before I begin personality testing that helps me figure out which pup would suit which situation the best. If I am looking to keep a pup for show potential I could not possibly decide which one when they are tiny. If you want one of my pups, you can hang out on my waiting list until I decide. My waiting list is NOT first come, first serve since I try to match pups and if, when I meet you in person and something doesn't seem right to me...you will not get a pup.
Is this fair?....nope. Do I care?....nope. Do I worry about people getting mad at me?...not even a little. My first obligation is to the well being of my dogs. Does this leave me with available pups not placed until they are older than 12 weeks sometimes? Sure, but so what. Eventually they will go to the very best home that I can choose for them and that's what matters.
I know it's not easy to just hang out on a waiting list (I've done it myself), so I do try to locate other breeder's pups for people all the time.

On the flip side...I can understand why breeders do take deposits, because it does let the breeder know you are commited to getting one of their pups, and then they will not be by-passing others that might be equally as deserving. If it is stated as non-refundable, which many are, it is up to the breeder to decide if they will return that as a courtesy when the situation changes and the pup is placed elsewhere.

You have a great point here and I like what you are talking about. I know it it is very hard and yet time consuming to place a puppy with the right person. And of course you want the right person for your precious babies. Nothing else will do............
Princessyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!