View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Linda, I have tested my boy who is in my care. After all he is a breeding dog. Would you recommend no breeding dogs be tested?

And Yes hip Xrays should be done on all Breeding dogs. And especially pet dogs presenting with certain lameness patterns about 6-1 yr old.

Given the prevalence of LS in this breed and also the relative inexpensiveness and innocuness of the test, I do agree with the protocol of 16 wks and 6mths for testing for BATS.
Since we are talking about Dr. Center's protocol, let's get it right. She states that IF a puppy is to be tested, then it should be done at 16 weeks and 6 months. No where does she say it must or should be done in all cases. Just as she does not state that every bitch destined for breeding who is found with an elevation be culled from breeding. The advice around her protocol was given in regards to breeding dogs, not to pet dogs. And to that, I agree, better the breeder bear the cost than the innocent buyer who just wants a nice companion.

Also, it can be argued that every test is inexpensive and innocuous. An xray to rule out LCP is about $100 and takes a few mins and that is prevalent in the breed. An oblique lateral cervical xray is about the same and that can rule out AAI. A spinal tap is $500 and would rule out GME......and the list goes on.

The fact remains that PETS should be tested for things when they need to be because they have clinical signs and symptoms. My money is better off being saved for things that crop up unexpectedly -- like when my 12 year old yorkie jumped off a bed onto a wood floor and had a catastrophic knee injury that required two surgeries to correct and now is going for rehabilitation which is running into the thousands.

I will spend anything on my dogs within my ability but I will not waste my money needlessly, and I wont advocate that healthy dogs be tested just for informational purposes.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!