View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
It's not the money - I spend thousands on my dogs - it's wasting it that's the issue. I'd rather see an owner of a healthy pup put that money toward routine things like heart worm prevention etc rather than start with diagnostics for an asymptomatic dog. That's just my opinion. Oh and I pay $80 for BATs and which I have done a number of times now. Results do vary as well, and to really test your dog you need to do it more than one time. Some people test once get a mild elevation and feed low protein when the dog doesn't need it. OP use your money wisely and buy Oscar a nice gift instead. Good luck.
I totally agree with you on this one, Cathy. I don't skimp on vetting either and would have no problem paying $80 for BATs IF they were indicated. I have never tested any yorkies in my care...never had reason to do so. I am not going to start testing them just because there is some remote possibility that they have a shunt, no more than I am going to start doing MRIs and spinal taps on every one looking for AAI and/or GME just because yorkies can have those conditions. And the list goes on and on.....should we do hip xrays on all yorkies? I have had pups with hip dysplasia and also Leggs Perthes. I am a believer in doing basics...and then further testing as indicated. I am not about to start going on a fishing expedition to diagnose pups.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!