View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
sugarpig
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

HI-
No she didn't have any symptoms. After receiving the initial BAT results from my VET, I was referred to an internist so that Gigi could have additional tests within the week. This was around mid November 2010. She had an ultrasound which was inconclusive they "thought" they saw a shunt but were not definitive. The internist prescribed Prescription LD, lactulose, and Ursodial.

The vet internist had a concern with proceeding with surgery because based upon past studies, there was a high mortality rate for older dogs. She advised dogs with liver shunts are usually diagnosed within the first 2 years of life. At the time, Gigi had just turned 6.

After reading the liver shunt posts on YT as well as conducting research, I decided to contact UT. I reviewed my findings with my primary vet and decided to go to UT for the consultation. I contacted UT and my vet sent over the referral. From the time Gigi was diagnosed to the time I made an appt to have the UT consult was about 2 weeks.

I was fully prepared to treat Gigi medically if Dr. Tobias thought the risks were greater than the benefits of having surgery. However, Dr. Tobias advised age was just only one factor in determining a candidate for surgery, i.e. past health history, type of shunt etc. They performed an scintography (sp) and confirmed a PSS liver shunt. She thought Gigi was a good candidate so I decided to have the surgery.

Sorry for the long answer but it just a very scary experience. Hindsight is 20/20...if I had to do it all over again. I would have skipped the consult with the internist and gone straight to UT. The internist visit cost me an $700 for an ultrasound which was inconclusive. Gigi's Protein C results indicated the probability of no LS but rather MVD. However, once the scintography was conducted (at UT) it was confirmed she did have a shunt as well with MVD (confirmed by UT liver biopsy).

If you can get to UT, I would recommend it. UT is very good at alleviating your concerns, answering questions, and dealing with overwhelmed worried Moms concerned about their pups! I stayed 4 days...I think normally most would stay 3 days. I had to stay an extra day because Gigi was very lethargic and would not eat post surgery.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!