View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
cidneyI
Yorkie Yakker

Wow, your post brings back some painful memories with the experience one of my Yorkies had with bladder stones. He ended up needing 3 bladder stone removal surgeries along with another that was pretty radical. The last surgery he had, the vet basically re-routed his urninary system so HE could urninate like a girl. Yes, you read that correctly. He no longer had any real function of his penis and the doctor created an opening so he could go like a girl because the stones and the acidic crystals would become lodged in the curve of the penis bone. We thought if the urinary system was straight so to speak, the stones and sticky acidic crystals would be able to pass easier - NOPE, didnt work. I ended up taking my beloved 7 yr old Yorkie to Texas A&M for further test. I was told his LIVER was all shot to hell and was not filtering the blood before it went on the the bladder - soemthing to that effect. I was told there was nothing else that could be done and we had to have him put down. It was the most painful thing I ever had to do in my entire life. We tried it all, diet, meds, surgeries and nothing worked. Its hard for me to think about all the things that poor baby was put thru in order to save him.

I tired to save that dog for 3 years and spent $10,000 doing it. I would have spent another 10,000 if I knew it would have allowed him to live longer. After much research, I think my local vet was just treating the symptoms and not the problem. I think my dog had a shunt and if it was considered in the beginning, things might have been differnt.
cidneyI is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!