View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #209
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncera View Post
Thanks, all my dogs are on Eukanuva, have tried others that they don't do so well on, I've also invested in shampoos and conditioners, mink sheen, yorkisheen, and please if I'm not using the right shampoo and conditioners please tell me. I have only breed three times as I have stated in my last post, I'm ashamed to say mentors knew nothing of my breedings, I know I should not say but, I feel blue ivy is a result to my ignorance of my mistakes, I ask for forgiveness and again will care for her for what ever is needing to be done. I know that I am not the only one that has had a blue born and I know that their are probably others that hide their blue borns knowing that their is a genetic defect. I one have nothing to hide, if I'm wrong and doing something wrong I'm gonna say and admit I'm wrong, but if I'm doing something right and know it right I'm gonna stand up for it.
Suncera this is an extremely long thread If you want to learn there are many threads I've posted on some of the information/knowledge that you will need as a basis for breeding Yorkies.
Look up my nicname and see threads I have started. Oh heck I'll try to link some threads "usually from the breeders forum" from newbie breeders who have asked many similar questions.

There is also a web based learning tool that I posted about; this one is for learning about genetics. Here is the link: Genetics of Icelandic Sheepdogs Carol Beuchat

It is a good starting place.

Join your local dog club. If you have a Yorkshire Terrier club locally that is great, if not a toybreed club, if not then just a general club. Much and I mean much learning can happen.

You need (if you don't already have) to train your "eye" for a dog. Movement structure and temperament.
Your husband breeds American Pitbull? Unfortunately their correct movement is not the same as the YT. Look at other terrier breeds.

Order a copy of the illustrated standard from the YTCA it is only about $5 or so; it is hopelessly dated, but at this point in time it is what they have.

Visit their website frequently. See what seminars are coming up where, and plan on attending some; ditto your local dog club.

Take some time do a websearch and start reviewing all the videos out there for National Specialties. Watch the dogs move. Make your choices then see what the judges picked.

Know all the health problems a Yorkie can be troubled with. A good exercise is to spend 30 minutes a day in the Sick and INjured forum.

Learn some temperament tests, and start to observe the temperament tests that you husband does on his breed..

Go to Dog shows. Not just conformation but obedience. Get to see Yorkies competing not only in the conformation ring but the obedience, agility and rally arenas.

All this takes time, dedication, preserverance and money. But if this is your passion then go for it!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!