View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Lolasmom1211
Donating YT 500 Club Member

When I found out my Lola had a liver shunt in 2009, I called University of Tennessee myself and set things up. I did have to get a referral from my vet, but I just faxed the form over to them and they faxed it back to UT. I made sure that Dr Tobias would be there to do the surgery. At that time, 3 years ago, Lola was spayed and also had her baby teeth removed while there, and her total bill was about $1700.

My regular vet did not want to do the BAT because Lola had no symptoms. She just would not eat much and she was so small - around 3 pounds. She had started sleeping a little more and did not play with her toys like she did when she was younger. Her coat was not full and pretty like her "brother", who came from a different breeder. I finally insisted on a BAT, and her numbers were very high. After doing ALOT of research, I knew the next step was scintigraphy and I wanted Dr Tobias to do both the scintigraphy and surgery, if necessary...which it was. I cannot say enough wonderful things about UT, Dr. Tobias and the staff - they were so kind to both Lola and me while there. I flew to TN Wednesday night, Lola went in Thursday AM and I picked her up Saturday PM and flew home on Sunday morning. She had dissolvable stitches and has done great since - not 1 complication. Her energy level increased and she gained almost 1 pound - that was huge for her! Good luck
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!