View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
violet voon
YT Addict

Default Sugar's enlarged heart and collapsed trachea

I've not been posted for ages...

Sugar, my furbaby is 3+ this year. This thread is rather long, I'm sorry.....

Last year February, Sugar started to cough after we came back from vacation, we put her in a pet hostel as no one could help us to take care of Sugar for a few days. Sugar had this Kennel cough as told by my regular vet (in a clinic), and he gave her some coughing syrup and said would be fine.

The 2nd day, Sugar coughed so bad and fainted at home, my mum was at home (I was working) and saw it, immediately she rushed her to hospital, I later joined my mum. The vet suggested to do an x-ray, the result came out and vet said Sugar's heart is larger than usual, if it's the case, Sugar wouldn't live for long. They recommend to do ultrasound on the heart. After the result came out, vet said although Sugar's heart size is abnormal, but ultrasound shown nothing much to worry about. Vet gave Sugar some coughing syrup and antibiotic.

Sugar finished her medicines about a week or so, she's doing fine but I noticed she still have this dry coughing sound when she got excited or frustrated. But other than that everything was perfectly fine. She didn't seem to be sick or so.

....Until 2 weeks ago, there came an uninvited guest, a bee..Sugar bite it and immediately my mum (I'm at work) rushed her to our regular vet, after injection and pill, Sugar's fine. Last Friday I took Sugar for her annual jab, things were still fine.

Yesterday mum called me said Sugar is feeling unwell after she ate some chestnuts, its only 1/4 of 1 nut, she shown food poisoning, tongue became purple, and vomited a few times, she rushed her to hospital again as our regular vet is not operating his clinic on Sundays. The vet in the hospital gave Sugar some medicine (believed it's charcoal) and Sugar was fine after that, again the vet mentioned about her dry honking voice, and we decided to leave Sugar there for another x-ray.

This noon we thought to take the result of x-ray and bring Sugar home, but this time the senior vet of the hospital wanted to meet and discuss... I had a very bad feeling...

The x-ray shown Sugar has an enlarged heart and also collapsed trachea, I mentioned Sugar did ultrasound and x-ray last year, and asked for the record, he said last year Sugar didn't suffer from collapsed trachea and her heart is larger now, it's different, he wanted to do another ultrasound and compare with last year result. But he wanted us to be prepared for the worst... he said Sugar will have to go for medicines. But there's no guarantee how long Sugar can still lives, it could be a year, or 2 if lucky, it's a bonus to live with enlarged heart.

I'm really depressed.... he suggested Sugar to go for low sodium diet / low salt diet, I'll have to bring Sugar home tomorrow, I have no idea what foods I can give it to Sugar, as vet said boiled chicken is not good. I've been crying since this noon until now, my eyes are swollen and I hardly talk..

Please pray for Sugar, I only wish I could buy her more time
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!