View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

I had at one time used raw ground meat to transition my little babies (5 weeks old) from mommas milk to start textured food for eventual weaning....they LOVED it and I was so excited about how easy something I had always had problems with, was actually turning out to be! Well, in about 2 weeks, that entire litter became ill....come to find out, when they are THAT young, they do not have the intestinal flora to facilitate digestion of raw meat, and they all got a bacterial gastritis from that raw meat! This should NOT be a problem you will have! She may have a tummy ache from the amount she gorged herself on, and she may have some loose stools from the change in her diet, but I dont think she will have any other bad outcomes! You may want to call the vet and tell him what happened...if he is really pro-active, he may want to start an antibiotic just in case she has a problem with bacteria flourishing in her intestines, he may suggest yogurt over the next several days.) Little stinker!! I can just hear her now...."I have died and gone to heaven...momma has left me a whole pak of ground meat for me to enjoy, as much as I can possibly eat!!! Let me get right on this!!!"
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!