View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Harrysmum
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyw2000 View Post
I adopted a sweet little 3 yr old dog from my local shelter. I've had mini schnauzers for 31 yrs and know that breed inside & out. I went to the shelter to consider a schnauzer they had for adoption but I took a darling little mixed breed home. Consensus is that he's a yorkie maltese mix, but seems more yorkie. He looks like a yorkie with floppy ears. He's had a rough start. I think he was kept in a crate most of the time and was the victim of archaic training methods. (afraid of keys, loud voices, newspapers, & looked for a place to hide when he had an accident) He didn't know how to walk on a lead, he doesn't know how to play with toys, doesn't eat treats. In the six weeks I've had him, he's blossomed into a friendly, affectionate little friend. He's tiny - he weighs about 5 lbs. I'm used to rough & rugged 18 lb schnauzers. He has that terrier attitude that I love so much.

I want to give this little guy the best care possible. Does anyone have advice for food (he's on blue buffalo toy breed & my home made recipe developed for the schnauzers' to prevent bladder stones), obedience training, toys, harnesses, etc.? Are there health concerns I should watch for or can prevent? He has long silky hair. What are the best ways to care for it? Any advice will be appreciated.

The first thing I did was get a mesh harness - I know from meeting yorkie's in my travels they have delicate tracheae and collars aren't the best option.
Good morning and welcome from the UK!

Congratulations on your new addition, and God bless you for taking your Littlie into your home. We've had Schnauzers before and, apart from the size, I've been amazed at actually how similar they are - their intelligence, tenacity, loyalty - even their eyes I think are very similar...

We can't get Blue Buffalo here - I personally home-cook for Harry too, and top him up with Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier kibble. Would love to hear your recipes - I'm always open to new meal suggestions for him!

I don't know whether you intend to take him to obedience/training classes? As you probably know by now - they're extremely quick, and willing, to learn...they seem to thrive on it. A lot of our games at home involve training (although Harry doesn't know it! ) plus hide-and-seek etc.

His very favourite toy is the Kong Air Squeaker ball - he also loves his Kong and old (clean!) tied up pairs of socks for tug and fetch. He also loves stuffed plush toys - but as he always gets the stuffing out in 2 minutes flat I tend to buy the 'skinny' ones, and just keep mending them...

As for harnesses - views are very mixed about the best ones - I love the Choke Free, just as many love the Buddy Belts, others the Puppia range - all are good as they don't choke your new little boy! Oh, and Harry's hair sounds like your Littlie's - we bath him once a week, then condition and rinse thoroughly, but also tend to keep him in a puppy cut - it solves many problems!

Good luck, enjoy every minute - and look forward to getting to know you! Sally + Harry x
Harrysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!