View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I'll give you a shortish summary of health concerns;
Most frequent are at top of list;

1. Luxating Patella - ie kneecaps slip out of place - Graded 1-4 Usually lower grades are not a huge concern. Good exercise important to keep kneecap stable. Long walks, swimming, all great ideas. Try to limit jumping if LP is present.
2. Collapsing Trachea - you know about this one. Harness great idea
3. Liver Shunt : can be extra(outside the liver) or inside. Usually Yorkies are tested for liver shunt at 16wks and 6mths old. The specific blood test is called BATS aka Bile Acids Test. Good thing to request and can be done along with the full blood panel. and not too expensive either
4. Bladder Stones - good idea to utilize what you know from your Schauzer experience
5. Hip Dysplasia and or Leggs Perthes Disease. At this point of 3yrs old unless you see movement problems I would not be too concerned with this.
6. Gastrointestinal upsets - hopefully your boy won't be prone to.
7. Pancreatitis - limit fat in diet. No bacon bits for treats and or other fatty meat. Watch out for cheese too.
8. Eye diseases - including PRA - cataracts, et al. Regular check up with your vet. As far as I am aware Yorkies are no more prone to Eye problems then other breeds.

That list will get you started..lol. There are other things of course

Obedience training is great!. Not too sure how stubborn the Schnauzer's are, but Yorkie can be. I think that given his history (Of being a rescue), if you look in our library second forum down; there is a good article on how to rehab a rescue.

Obviously reward base training especially with his history is best. You might be able to just use "voice" rewards. Soft "harsh" voice for correction. Happy lilt reward.

It is so great that you rescued this Yorkie. A big welcome to Yorkie World. I'm sure you will fall in love with this special breed.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!