View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Stormyw2000
Yorkie Talker

Default New to toy breed & yorkie world

I adopted a sweet little 3 yr old dog from my local shelter. I've had mini schnauzers for 31 yrs and know that breed inside & out. I went to the shelter to consider a schnauzer they had for adoption but I took a darling little mixed breed home. Consensus is that he's a yorkie maltese mix, but seems more yorkie. He looks like a yorkie with floppy ears. He's had a rough start. I think he was kept in a crate most of the time and was the victim of archaic training methods. (afraid of keys, loud voices, newspapers, & looked for a place to hide when he had an accident) He didn't know how to walk on a lead, he doesn't know how to play with toys, doesn't eat treats. In the six weeks I've had him, he's blossomed into a friendly, affectionate little friend. He's tiny - he weighs about 5 lbs. I'm used to rough & rugged 18 lb schnauzers. He has that terrier attitude that I love so much.

I want to give this little guy the best care possible. Does anyone have advice for food (he's on blue buffalo toy breed & my home made recipe developed for the schnauzers' to prevent bladder stones), obedience training, toys, harnesses, etc.? Are there health concerns I should watch for or can prevent? He has long silky hair. What are the best ways to care for it? Any advice will be appreciated.

The first thing I did was get a mesh harness - I know from meeting yorkie's in my travels they have delicate tracheae and collars aren't the best option.
Stormyw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!