View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indystylist256 View Post
Normally it is just me. I am feeding him about 12 cc's. I made "puppy chow" my vet suggested: boiled chicken, rice, egg yolk, cottage cheese, and karo syrup. I am also syringe feeding him pedialyte. I will try it with him on the counter for his next feeding and see if that is easier. My poor little guy. I want to be sure that I'm doing everything I can do to help him and keep his stress level down so he can recover quickly.
Thanks again
You sound like you are doing fine...just struggling to get the baby fed! It is amazing how a tiny little dog can out maneuver an adult, probably over 100#!!! If you have to do it on the counter, just DO NOT FOR ONE SECOND RELAX YOUR GRIP IN HIM ....HE WILL HIT THE FLOOR AND IT WILL ALL BE OVER BUT THE HOLE DIGGING! He will get used to eating....and he will not be so stressed out! You can add a tablespoon of chicken baby food to that chow mix....he will like that alot....they usually love baby food chicken, and even lamb! If you are doing this every 2-3 hours, he will get thru this and it wont be long....you will be able to syringe feed him, and then he will start to eat on his own....put some chicken baby food in a saucer and see if he will eat that AFTER YOU SYRINGE FEED HIM....he may lick that up.....leave it down where he can get to it.... and he may lick that up before his next feeding....you can gradually (maybe in another week or so) strt to add some of that grated up chicken, mixed in with the baby food chicken, and dropped by tablsp. onto a saucer and get him used to that.....(You still continue to feed with the syringe!! but if he starts to eat that spoonful from the saucer between the syringe feedings, you can wait to syringe feed him every 3-4 hours....and the more he eats from the saucer, the more space between the syringe feedings...every 4 hours,,,,every 4-5 hours.....if you see him eating the entire tablsppon from the saucer, put 2 tblsp. on the saucer...
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!