View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
indystylist256
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
How much are you trying to give him every 2 -3 hours? He should only need 10-15cc....dont let him eat FIRST! You syringe feed him first!!! Then if he wants anymore, you let him eat that on his own. He should be hungry enough to tolerate 10cc every 2-3 hours....be sure you mix the Karo with the dog food so you dont have to struggle with THAT too....do you have anyone that can hold him while you feed? If so, they hold him, close to their chest, and you use the assistants chest to stabilize his head....you can either open his mouth and squirt a little feeding on his tongue far enough back that he swallows it, or you can insert the tip of the syringe into the side of his cheek, far back, and deposit a little there...it will go into his mouth between the space in his teeth at the back of his jaw.....if you do NOT have help, you put the baby on the kitchen counter, "trapped between your body and your forearm, with his head facing your dominate hand holding the syringe....you secure the head against your stomach, open the mouth with your non dominate hand, and squirt the food into his mouth from the syringe in your dominate hand. Just dont squirt it tooo far down his throat and choke him!!!
Normally it is just me. I am feeding him about 12 cc's. I made "puppy chow" my vet suggested: boiled chicken, rice, egg yolk, cottage cheese, and karo syrup. I am also syringe feeding him pedialyte. I will try it with him on the counter for his next feeding and see if that is easier. My poor little guy. I want to be sure that I'm doing everything I can do to help him and keep his stress level down so he can recover quickly.
Thanks again
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!