View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndguad View Post
I have a 9 weeks old yorkie that I have only had since last Thursday. The first couple days she seemed ok, playful and all, but she wouldn't eat. I got the food that the lady I got it from said she was eating too. Monday, I went a head and took her to the vet. They checked her stool and she was diagnosed with Coccidia and given meds for that. She doesn't seem to be improving. I took her back to the vet today and they just said her blood sugar was low to continue giving her the NutriCal every hour and feeding her with a syringe 5-6 times a day. She still won't eat unless I force her with a syring and all she does is sleep. She does get up to use the bathroom and to take a drink of water but thats it. She walks with her tail down and just looks so pitiful. Doesn't try to play and rarely makes a noise. Has anyone else gone through this or have any other suggestions?
Stress does make these little ones break with coccidia....I dont know what your vet told you, but ALL dogs harbor that protozoa) in their bowel....and some will have diarrhea with the stress of new home, possibly new food (because it seems that is the FIRST thing all new owners do, is change the baby's food!)_That coupled with the fact this baby is too young to be taken away from her momma, is stressing the little darling out. You have GOT to stay on top of that hypoglycemia issue....that baby must eat, around the clock, until she gets thru this. These babies are also very susceptable to parvo at this stage....you have to be very careful she does not go out in public or around where any other dogs are/have been until she is completely vaccinated at 16 weeks.....what medicine did the vet give you for the diarrhea/ coccidia...how often do you give it....Albon with Flagyl (Metronidazole) is what is usually given, sometimes they will add Amoxicillin to the mixture....you give this for at least 10 days....this stuff works really quickly and they usually stop with the diarrhea within 24 hours....
Mix up a gruel for the baby...ground up the puppy kibble she came from the breeder on, mix a little Just Born Puppy milk, cut 1:1 with Pedialyte, 1 tsp.Karo syrup and about a tbsp. baby food...I always use chicken, it isnt as strong as beef....make it the consistancy of a thin cream soup, and if it doesnt lick it up out of a saucer, feed it to her from a syringe....(it has to be liquid enough to go thru the syringe)....feed her every 2-3 hours around the clock, at least 10-15cc....warm it a little so she digests it better....hang in there with her.....love on her and cuddle her...she doesnt feel good and her momma has disappeared on her, she is confused and lost.....poor little soul...

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 05-17-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!