View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
BamaFan121s
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalyorkiLvr
Great idea Irene! I love to see what other Yters experineces have been in a poll form.

I haven't answered the poll questions yet because I do not want to unintentionally skew the results. I thought I would ask some questions and then answer after Irene has responded.

Have you had a problem come up as a result of spaying or neutering your dog? I assume you mean by "problem" something other than the typical pain and discomfort from a major surgery such as this or them pulling the stiches out, etc. I am guessing you mean like incontinence or weight gain or laziness, less athletic, sleeping more, not maternal or less maternal in females, some kind of cancer more prevalent in neutered than intact dogs? Is this what you mean?

Part of the problem is that people would not necessarily relate these "problems", especially those occurring later in life, with the fact that the dog was neutered. It is similar to "vaccinosis". It is hard to prove the connection between specific maladies and the fact that the dog was over vaccinated.

My miniature poodle who was spayed at a young age became incontinent as a result. My german shepherd who was spayed at under 5 years lived to 12 but she died of bladder cancer which is more prevalent in neutered dogs. Should I answer "Yes, more than once" in this case?

Hefner is neutered and sleeps a lot more than my girls, Chai and Ava (neither is neutered) both run faster than he does and are more athletic. Is this because he was neutered young or would this have been his general personality regardless? I don't really know. He is the only one who is big enough to consider agility with but he is not as athletic. He loves to do it but he is not as fast.
So then, would you say that out of the problems you've experienced there is only 1 that is absolutely, concretely tied to the s/n and couldn't have been because of anything else?
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!