View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Tiger's Mom
Donating YT 8000 Club Member

Have you ever considered "crate training".

I have the same dilemma as you but not as bad. My Tiger was 90% pad trained when we brought him home at 8 weeks and he continues to do so (now 16 weeks). The worst days are Mondays when he gets so disorented that we are not home all day (because both my husband and I work full time). He is strictly confined to my Laundry room when we are NOT home. I had seeked a friend's advise who has a mini schnauzer that is fully housetrained. She suggested that we be firm from day one, although starting now isn't too late.

Being that Tiger is still a puppy, he has learned to hold his pee for up to 4 hours only, but this is when we are doing errands and at puppy school. At home he pees more frequently because his "area" is always available. They need to learn to hold it so that you do not have to worry about them peeing everywhere (unless you have decided to train your yorkie to go outdoors on his own). Tiger has been in crate training since last week and so far is doing wonderfully. This week we move up to 5 hours. Because he is now being monitored at all times no more "out of bounds" messes. I plan to add an hour every week so when he is able to hold it for 8 hours, I will continue to crate him until he is doing okay for a few months . . .then we shall see what happens.

I live in an area where there is lots of snow and lots of trees so I cannot have him relieve himself outdoors without my supervision. He is so tiny he could be eaten by an owl or deer easily . . . when the weather is warmer, I plan to take him outdoors whenever he needs to go . . . my ultimate goal is to have him pee in the morning before I go to work, then as soon as I get home and before going to bed. . . . .

He has been sleeping with me since he was 9 weeks and he has never had an accident . . . .

This plan seems to work best for me, since I work full time. I am trying to nip this problem in the bud while he is still young . . . If this suggestion won't work for you, am sure there will be others that will post on this site to help you with your problem. Good luck!
Tiger's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!