View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I used to take a slightly soiled potty pad outside with me and place my little one on or right next to it. Also, if the dog didn't potty, I learned the hard way to bring them in and if I was going to be even momentarily busy, place them in the crate where they either had to go on the potty pad there or hold it. Then, once I was done, it was back outside, even if they had pottied on the pad in the crate. It was just a rule of thumb I had - after being in the crate, even a short time, I took the dog outside. That way they got the expectation that if they held it while in the crate, a break would be coming. They could count on it every time.

This always worked well for me....that soiled pee pad, moved outside (and then returned inside, where they find it again!) seemed to flip on a switch...like, "OOOOHHHH! I get it now!!!" And the consistency of the trip outside EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY COME OUT OF THE CRATE....pain in the ....but it has to be done to become ingrained in their behavior. It is all about EXPECTATIONS!!!!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!