View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

The only suggestion I have is to be right there waiting for her to go potty in the box. Don't leave her site. Keep telling her to go potty the whole time. When she is in the act of going pee or poo, praise her then, and give her her treat after she goes.

Leaving her and then coming back removes you from the opportunity to reinforce the behavior as it is happening. When we were training Millie, someone was with her every single time we wanted her to go to the bathroom. We did not rely on her to know what to do until she was over 7 months old.

Even though we told her to "go potty" every single time, she did not actually learn to go on command until she was around 6 months old. (If your little one does not know to go on command, then she is not sure what you are asking her to do) The only way to teach her is to be there every time.

I think you need to continue to take her to go potty every 1 - 2 hours until she can reliably let you know she has to go. When she is telling you she has to go, then you can start training her to go by herself.

It gets old fast, I know, but Millie was 6 1/2 to 7 months old when she was 100% housebroken. We never let up on her until I knew she absolutely understood where she was allowed to go. After awhile, it becomes, not so much that she knew where to go, but she had the preference to go outside and not in the house.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!