View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Zoejane
Senior Yorkie Talker

I got my baby when she was 12 weeks old, before that times read everything I could get my hands on because I was going to do it perfect. I work from my home so I could be right there with her. I live in an 8th floor condo so I chose to put peed pads on my patio. I bought a small crate as all books stated and I was ready. I had a plan and I knew I would be successful. The first night home she stayed on my lap and I would take her out and put her on her pee pads every hour. Nothing.....I finally had to do a little work so I put her in her crate, well guess what, she peed in it. I cleaned it up and said nothing. I got up with her every hour all night long, nothing. The next morning I put her down on the floor with me and I caught her trying starting to pee. I said no in a stern voice, picked her up and took her out to her pee pad but she wouldn't go anymore. In fact it got to the point where all she would want to do is crawl back on my lap when I took her out to her pee pad. I was always nice to her, but I would peel her off of my lap and put her back on her pad. But grrr nothing. I finally got worried about her not peeing so I covered the bathroom floor with pee pads, shut her in and she peed. So the next day I went and bought an exec to put on the patio, the door opens right into the pen, covered the patio floor with pee pads and would take her out every hour and just let her run around. If she peed I praised her profusely and gave her a treat. But again if I had to do something in the house and couldn't watch her I would put her in her crate and she would pee in it. I never scolded her when she peed on the carpet, I just cleaned it up very well and I still always had my sights on her in case she did pee I could always clean it up. After she was pretty consistent with peeing on the pads I started reducing the amount I put down until now I am down to 1 pad in the corner and she always peed on it. She is now 5 months old so I have had her for 2 months, she just started this week whining at the patio door when she needs to go out. I still don't trust her and she still doesn't have free run of the house, but she hasn't peed in the house for at least 2 weeks now. All of this to say, it takes lots of patience and lots of perseverance, it's not going to happen in a week or two, or even a month. I have never, ever spanked her and neither will I she isn't doing it to be naughty, rather she has a little bladder and is just learning what is acceptable. I will be the first to admit it has been a lot more work than I ever imagined, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. She is my baby! Hang in there, realize she is her own individual and what worked for another might not work for her.
Zoejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!