View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
bosslady
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Jasmine could have been killed

I was so mad at Jasmine Saturday and scared to death at the same time.
We live out of town, but on a busy highway. We live on 30 acres Our house is a long way back from the highway. It has a winding road (driveway) that goes to the highway. There is lots of trees and a hill between the house and the highway. Saturday morning all 3 of the dogs wanted out. (I just had my silky cafftan and houseslippers on. My hair not combed.
We have always taken Jasmine out on a leash, but not the other 2. They always stay right beside me. I thought I would try Jasmine without a leash. BIG MISTAKE. The minute I stepped out, she started running to the right of me through the trees and then doubled back and ran to the left. I started yelling"come here baby, come here to mama" and trying to run after her. She would not stop. She found the road down to the highway and started to run down it, I couldn't keep up with her as I am no spring chicken. I yelled at our Westie to go with her, he started after her and looked like he was even trying to head her off, but couldn't. The closer she got to the highway, the more I began to panic. I could just see her and Duffy running right on to the highway and getting killed. I was screaming at her by then and crying. She just kept running. When she got to the highway, thank God instead of running right on to it, she saw something in the ditch that caught her attention and stopped and I was able to get around between her and the highway. I headed her off and she started running through the gate and back up the road, About half way there, she took off through the field with all the tall grass, brambles, etc. She finally stopped and I was able to grab her. I think she stopped because she was exhausted. I was so scared and mad I picked her up and paddled her little behind. The first spanking I ever gave her. When I got back to the house, I put her in the crate and made her stay there for about 3 hours. The crate is in the familyroom/kitchen and every time I walked by it, I bitched at her. By this time my husband thought it was funny. I just couldn't get my mind off of seeing her killed before my eyes. It still scares me to think about it. I could have lost her and Duffy both as he was staying right with her.
I was wanting to get a pet door, but can't trust her. What can I do to get her not to run off. We have a pool and 3 large decks all across the back of our house. We spend so much time out there in the summer and I love to spend time gardening and taking care of all my flowers. I want her to be able to spend time on the decks and go outside with us. What do I do?

PS All the motorist going by on the highway, must have thought I was a crazy woman running down the road in my long flowing (and a little flimsy) cafftan with my frowzy, uncombed hair, screaming and crying.
bosslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!