View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #57
mscat
YT 3000 Club Member

I grew up as having poms as family dogs. It was until 4 years ago that I wanted a small dog. My son was 14 at the time and he has autism with intellectual disabilites. I am also disabled and do not leave the house very much, and really am not a 'people person" After getting Suzi things changed so much for the better, we then added a shh tzu to the family a yr later. Skipping up to now these dogs have become a very big part of our family. Suzi loves me, however really loves my son and he treats her like a baby, which we all know yorkie's love that kind of attention. Miely has become more my dog and is so mild mannered and a total lap dog, Suzi will give me tons of kissess all the time and sleeps on my bed. I do go out, but all think about is the dogs. It is hard for me to leave the house for long periods of time. Now that Suzi and Miley are 3-4 years old it is so much better to be out of the puppyhood stage. I also was not thinking about these dogs as being very high maintence, as both are. They are service dogs, yet I prefer to keep them at home, because it would be harder to bring them with us even though we can. My son is nearly 19, I am a single parent , and my son is in a adult program everyday , so it is me and the dogs.
In response to the op, your children come first , it is hard to juggle things around everyday with a family of young kids, and their is nothing to feel guility about. Your doing the best you can and are spending time with your dog. Don't be so hard on yourself. As long as your dog is getting her needs met it is fine.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!