View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
reneernc
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Reallly a tough decision, I read all those articles too and there is alot of conflicting information out there. Bottom line is if it doesn't close it is due to increased intracranial pressure, the degree of pressure-amount of fluid buildup is what determines symptoms that may appear r/t brain damage. In my research I found several sites that stated regardless of what anyone is told this is an abnormal condition. It may or may not end up problematic, there is no treatment other than to treat symptoms. They also stated that while it is common in Chihuahuas, it should not be considered normal and breeders should not breed from this line. Those with open fontanels should never be bred as this can also increase the pressure.

ON the other hand...my pup had a very small opening, one that I never was able to really feel and it closed, thank goodness! My vet had recommended I return her also and I was going too but I guess I kept her 1 day too long then it was too late! We are fortunate to have a good outcome.

Its hard to decide what to do! Thoughts are with you.
reneernc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!