View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
navillusc
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyRainesMom View Post
Thank you. He is going today to get his first big boy style cut and this time I'm taking him to his vet they also do grooming. Before I was taking him to Petsmart for his puppy cuts and they didn't do his ears.

Interesting...
Before we got him, Brody had been being taken to Petsmart for grooming also and they'd never trimmed or tipped (edged) his ears either. Brody's ear hair still had all his black puppy color up through all the color changes and hung to the ground and in his food, and over his face, etc. After I first brought him home, I removed ticks from his ears that had crawled up the ear hair...twice! I tipped the ears myself, then had MY CHOSEN GROOMER groom him like he was a Yorkie! Incidentally, he's never had a tick since then.

You've been given good advice already, but in addition to having your groomer remove all the hair from the front and back of the ears, you can get a small trimmer and do it yourself, too, so you can keep it trimmed to give the ears a chance to stand. A lot of people like the Peanut trimmer, or a small Wahl beard and mustache trimmer. Be certain if you trim the hair off the edges of the ears, that you do not use the trimmer "up (or down) the edge" as it will cut the ear leather...always use scissors, and wet the hair at the ear leather so you can see where the ear is and where the hair is...then put your fingers along the ear edge on either edge holding the ear edge between your fingers and scissor along your fingers on the outside of your fingers...the side opposite the ear...so you don't cut the ear leather. It's easier to do than to explain, but gets much easier the more you practice.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!