Thread: Update on Moose
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Rescuemomma
YT 500 Club Member

Default Update on Moose

Thank you everyone who has shown a concern for this sweet boy!!!

He did great with my vet yesterday - took him back this afternoon for a quick recheck to make sure he's still healing as expected, and she said she's actually amazed with how much progress he's made in just a few days. Not eating great, but we think it's from the antibiotics and pain meds. He is still eating some, and he really needed to loose a bit of weight anyway, so eating lighter for a few days is not going to hurt him at all. We've got him off fluids now or any injectable meds, just oral meds to make sure he stays out of pain and to finish getting rid of the swelling from his injuries and no infection develops. Thankfully it seems it was even less severe then we originally thought and he's healing up beautifully.

We are a bit worried that he may have an underlying thyroid problem, I clipped him down (I've been working slowly with him for the last month, him and his brother where both pretty matted when their dad dropped them off with me), and decided it was better since we had to shave around his sores anyway to just clip him all the way down for the summer. His skin is pretty dark and a bit thickened, so we think there's either an allergy issue or a thyroid problem. Could also help explain why he's overweight (weighs 12.1 lbs right now - Should probably weigh about 9 1/2 - 10 lbs at most) I'm going to talk to his dad about getting some blood work done on him as soon as he can afford it, I know with all his medical bills money is really tight, but neither my vet nor I feel it's anything that needs to be done urgently. But all in all Moose is doing great!

His brother, Skeeter, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to groom the same way to make it easier for their dad when he takes them back since he was obviously struggling to keep up with their coat care, or if I'll just offer to let him bring them back to me every week or two and I'll help him keep up the coats. Moose will be really easy since I took him pretty short. Skeeter's coat brushed out really nice once I slowly worked out all the matts and tangles. I'll probably let his dad decide if he wants me to clip him down as well or if he wants to brush him every day and maintain his coat now that I've got it brushed out and looking good again!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!