View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
MommytoMiles
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom to Hot Rod View Post
Sorry that you are having such a hard time with potty training. My first question is, do you have a set feeding schedule? The reason I ask this is that usually, puppies tend to potty after eating. Maybe you could try to take her out prior to eating for a few moments, come back in and feed her. Wait about 5 minutes and then take her back out for a little bit longer until she does her business, then bring her back inside.

I would maybe, bring her back inside after each time she's done her business so she will know that this is what you expect of her outside. Are you treating and/or praising when she is going outside? This will go a long way in her training. Also, hopefully she is not being disciplined when she does go inside.

The other thing you should probably considering is getting an expen to confine her. Since you do work full time, you may want to consider potty pads. It's way too much to expect a puppy to hold it for hours. Even with a potty pad, there is no guarantee she will use it at first but at least it will be a start. She will learn that it is acceptable to go in a certain spot. If you do not want to invest in an expen, try gating her off in the kitchen or bathroom. Or trying tethering her to you while you are inside. This way if she wanders to find a spot, you will know and be able to take her outside or put her on a pad.

You will need to make some concessions to help her train. She's just a puppy and doing what comes natural and what she knows to do. Patience, consistenancy and diligence are the key things to have when potty training.

And if I were you, I'd send the boyfriend outside while keep your baby inside. Good luck! Here is a picture of my expen. I originally kept, crate, potty pad and food and water in it. Now they have their beds and potty pad in it.
Nice, very similar to my set up at home. I don't have the crate in the pen though, that's Miles' little bedroom next to my bed. I have a potty pad in their just in case but he never uses it. Doesn't like to (blank) where he sleeps unless he's has diarrhea then he cries for me to clean it up, he hates it...

I have a smaller crate that I used for his trip to the hospital when he got neutered. Maybe I will try putting that in there to give him a little safe haven. He rarely goes in it. Probaby reminds him of his surgery.
MommytoMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!