View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcerella02 View Post
I was looking for a day-to-day recovery. What to expect, what is normal what is not normal. That type of thing. I know each dog is different but I really have no clue what to expect.
Well Callie was very tired and slept pretty much the whole time the first 3 days and didn't poo for 4 days. It scared me because she would not drink much or want to eat for the first couple days and only would pee once a day but after the first week when her pain patch came off she started chewing on bones and eating a little more. She was toe touching the day we brought her home but they say sometimes they wont do that for a week or even a little longer. They cant use stairs, jump of do hills pretty much carry them to the potty area put them down let them go then pick them back up and put them back in like a pen or crate. For 2 weeks she was on two different pain meds and at the end of week 2 she was walking on it a bit when she would sniff for her potty spot. At week 3 we went to the physical therapist and she put her on the water treadmill for 5 minutes and she walked on it great then showed me some stretched I needed to do and I needed to walk her for five minutes twice a day she was almost completely walking on it by then unless she tried to run then she would hop. Then we went back on week 4 and upped the water treadmill for 10 minutes got more stretching to do and she has to do two 10 minutes walks and was walking great no problems. Then week 5 it upped to 15 minute walks and she did 15 minutes on the water treadmill and was walking great but still no jumping but was allowed to start using ramps and go up and down hills so she could walk to her potty area now and didn't need to be carried. Week 6 was our last week at the physical therapist and she said Callie was done then and Callie was walking great and able to do stairs now but I didn't let her until her 8 week check up with the surgeon because I was so anxious.I kept her in the pin until 8 weeks but I would block of all the furniture in the living room and let her out of her pen to walk around and lay on the carpet and stuff for a little while. Then by 8 weeks she was cleared to do normal doggy things. Then about a week later I think she was hoping and limping again so we went back to the surgeon and the morning we had our appointment she was shaking so bad from the pain and he thought it was the pins they had put in her knee so they took her into the back to examine her and sedated her to do xrays and said it was the pins so they had to remove the pins and although she left limping a little and was on restricted activity for 4 days and pain meds for 3 I could tell it wasn't hurting her the same and the next day no limp. Now she occasionally has a limp if she goes for a long long walk or does a lot of running but I have been told it will probably be that way for about a year. Callie has also had her ACL fixed because it was partiality torn at the same time has her knee. Then we where told to expect the other to tare within 18 months and then she will get her other knee done when they fix that ACL. I hope I was of some help. I will keep you and your baby in my prayers.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!