View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
jnsdrexler02
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sganow View Post
I would be concerned with the food spoiling. As for taking in too many calories, you would have to be the judge of that based on whether he is maintaining good weight or gaining weight. If he's gaining weight, then you would want to cut back his portions. I free feed all my dogs, and always have, but they are used to it and do just fine. Not all dogs do well free feeding though. Most people discourage free feeding. You might be better off feeding 3 smaller meals per day. Or, if you're going to leave food down all day, only leave down the correct amount for his daily total recommended feeding amount. That way you can still regulate his intake.
This is exactly what I do for Rylee Belle and Rookie. They get a spoonful of plain yogurt every morning. I leave each of them a 1/4 cup of NOW grain free kibble in their bowls. Then when I get home from work, they each get about a 1/4 cup of Wellness Chicken (wet) without the kibble mixed in. They seem to prefer it that way. Before bedtime, if they have eaten all of the kibble during the day, I give them a little more to snack on. They both do much better "snacking" then they did with meals. However, I still have control over the amount they are getting. I also give them Wellness pure jerky treats, but only a couple a day. These are usually used as rewards for "pee pee" and "poo poo" (especially if Rylee Belle goes outside instead of on her pad)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!