View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodimerlyn View Post
We have been feeding our cats Royal Canin and here in the great white north that translates to BIG dollars! I don't care! I want my animals to have the best and be healthy!

However,...the other night while at Ren's Pet Depot I did a comparison analysis of the Royal Canin (cat food) and Purina One...and I almost died on the spot!!

The Royal Canin is CRAP! (sorry..no offense to those who feed it!) It's full of corns and grains and just garbage! Chicken by-product instead of CHICKEN and corn is the second or third ingredient on the list! Filler! This food is INCREDIBLY expensive and my animals don't even like it that much!

We compared all the other ingredients, and the Purina One came out WAY ahead! I understand that SOME of the ingredients can be open to interpretation such as ASH content (I have been researching foods for 20 years so I get it believe me), but the Purina One still came out way ahead.

So...we switched....and so far they love the new food. Archer is our Border Collie and has been on Legacy PUPPY (not Royal Canin but supposed to be excellent) food his entire life. While they don't use a lot of grains and fillers, I could NEVER get him above 42 lbs....and the food is also very expensive. He's almost always under 40 lbs, especially in the summer when he's running more...which is okay for a Border Collie but 43 to 45 is a bit of a healthier weight. Within a week of feeding this food I can already see he's got a bit more weight on him and his ribs are less pronounced....and he isn't having any more BM's than before. We will see how things progress over the next few weeks as I am observing my critters closely.

Anyway....this has been my findings...what foods do you feed and why? I know this can be a VERY controversial subject so I'm not looking for an open debate on dog food...I just wondered if there is something in particular that Yorkies need in their diet beyond the regular good quality dog food (sorry I kind of took the long way around to asking this question huh? LOL!).
I don't understand WHY you would want to compare a cat food with a dog food? I know the Royal Canin for Yorkshire Terriers doesn't use chicken by products. Also, corn is not a filler.

Quote:
Carbohydrates may originate from grains (rice, wheat, barley, oats, corn etc.) or alternative sources like potatoes, sweet potatoes, tapioca or peas. The claim that all carbohydrates in commercial dog food are nothing but fillers and can not be digested by dogs is incorrect - properly cooked (as in extruded and baked dry foods as well as canned foods) they are highly digestible and valuable sources of energy. The Dog Food Project - Identifying better products
If you are really open to debate it may be best not to call someone else's food choice "CRAP" and "garbage." If you really think RC is making too much profit in their food, you ought to buy stock in the company! I buy the product, because they do testing, they have a good record for quality control; their facilities are considered state of the art spotless and clean. Furthermore, I have studied nutrition in college and on my own and believe that the ingredients they have chosen make a quality nutritious meal for dogs, and Joey loves it and is thriving on it.

Join today and remove this ad!