View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Hobofan
Yorkie Yakker

Default Here's what helps me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim1971 View Post
My Bella is 8 almost 9 months old and I can not for the life of me get her housebroken. I will NOT use potty pads, newspapers etc. Its my belief that a dog should potty outside and only outside. I can leave her outside for several minutes sometimes up to an hr on nice days and within 5-10 minutes of being inside she will potty. I do watch her for clues and rush her outside and praise her when she potties outside but I do work full time and am not always home with her and when that occurs she is in the kennel. I can not keep her confinded to just where I can see her as I have a very open floor plan the only walls/doors being to bathrooms and bedrooms. I just dont know what else to do, Im lost I keep promising my finacee that she will house break and he is steadfast that she never will and hates her with a passion as a result. Please help me.
I have found when I take my dog out on her 6 foot leash she will quickly pee/poo when we go outside. Just pick your spot and walk her out to it and then give the command "Go potty!". Try to find a spot near another "Poo" so that when she smells that she knows what she is out there to do.

If she is not on a leash then she will have such a fun time sniffing/smelling/discovering that the bladder issues get pushed to the back of the mind!!!

I do know of many yorkie owners who put down a pee pad during the day (in an ex-pen like the one in the post a couple above) then use the great outdoors for all other potty issues. That way you could quickly dispose of the pee pad when you get home and you wouldn't have it out while you are there.

Best of luck to you and hopefully she will catch on quickly. For me, the leash along with constant coaching of "Go potty" has been very helpful to housebreaking!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!